Saturday, November 24, 2012

28 Days to December 21, 2012!

Having insomnia and watching 'Countdown to Apocalypse' on the History Channel was not the right thing to do. 

Yesterday, I was given a $25 off coupon if I spend $50 and it expires today.  Yesterday, I was hell bent on spending it to get a new sweater to wear to my new job. I made arrangements with my mother to pick her up and go shopping.

After watching this show, I'm not so sure that's what I should do. I'm crazy to think of going shopping when all I should be thinking of is survival.

I was thinking of all the ways I was not prepared to go 'off the grid' if our electricity should be blown by the solar flares. 

My husband thinks about this stuff constantly.  Just today, he bought ammo for his guns and was looking for a replacement ax handle for his ax.  I said, "you just bought a log splitter".  He said, "it's only good as long as we can get gas to run the engine.  This would take me back to the primitive days.  I'd be able to cut wood myself instead of relying on a machine."  Ok, I get it and I appreciate his way of thinking...but I until now, I didn't obsess over it. 

This show changed me.  In the middle of the night, I am a changed person.

I need matches, candles and dried food.  I have a manual can opener to open those cans of food that are in my lazy susan. 

But what will I do with all the food that is in my freezer?  My guess is that I'd have to cook everything at once and make it like jerky and munch on it later?  A whole side of beef?  

My husband has been after me to let him get a wood stove.  We used to have a wood stove in previous houses and I remember us getting sick when we started burning wood (from allergies) and the dust from the wood and the fan would be a bear to keep up with. 

I have now decided that he needs to put one in and do it very soon.  We have 10 acres of woods...there's no reason not to burn wood.  

What else do I need to be concern with?  Oh yeah, water.  We have a cistern that we keep full with water for when we have the cattle.  We can fill it up and use that.  But that's only good for 2500 gallons.  Hey, it's a start.  

What else will I need?  Clothing.  I have dress clothes and a few utilitarian clothes but not much.  Long underwear?  I have none!  I need long underwear and sweaters and new Rocky boots! 

I guess I'll have to go shopping with mom this morning and go get the sweater I was thinking about.  I'm going to need it this winter...and I'll be one step closer to 'going off grid'. 

 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment