Saturday, December 8, 2012

Christmas Magic Extended

That Elf on a Shelf,
That Elf on a Shelf,
I really like that Elf on a Shelf!

While visiting my mom and dad last evening, the subject of The Elf on A Shelf came up.  My daughter in law, Kadee, is using this method to keep little Madi (4) in check.  Apparently, this elf reports to Santa every night on your childs behavior and comes back in the morning to a different place in your house.  Part of the fun is that, you can have a girl elf or a boy elf.  If you want a girl elf, you have to buy a skirt separately.  So, a skirt was bought and the elf is a female. 

Madi has named this elf 'Lucy' and Lucy is my mother's name.  Kinda makes it special, huh?  When Lucy decided to sit in the Christmas tree, Madi said, 'Silly Lucy'.  Cute huh?  If you know four year olds, they can be very cute when they come up with their own observations of life.




When in another room than where the elf was at, Madi told her Papaw Dave, "Lucy can't see me but she can hear me!".

Kadee reports on facebook the whereabouts of Lucy and takes pictures.  Now she has a following and everyone is tuned into this little magic.

Many, many years ago (I can't believe I said that!) when we lived on Haines Road in Xenia, my mother had two elves in a table centerpiece.  She received this table centerpiece from someone and if I remember correctly (I can't believe I said that too!), this centerpiece was of black metal, greenery, and maybe a candle in the middle.  The elves were attached to the centerpiece and were in a sitting position, facing out.  I remember the elves becoming detached from the centerpiece and would become part of Christmas decorations in later years.  Being the thrifty person that I am, they were handed down to me and I used them to decorate for Christmas for several years. 

At that time, I didn't use them as a 'elf on a shelf'.  But it would have been a good idea!  My memory fails me again as I can't tell you what happened to them.  I think I threw them out.  

Now I wish I had them back! 

I don't know about anyone else but this is my first Christmas with the Elf on a Shelf being a part of the magic of Christmas...and Kadee is not the only one. 

My friend Keri is having a whole lot of fun with the Elf on a Shelf on facebook.  Keri's grandson has one named Buddy and I think Buddy lives at her house.  I'm not sure if Keri is using Buddy to keep her grandson in check. 

But I do know one thing, her Elf on a Shelf texts Santa, he does not go to the North Pole to report on behavior.  Of course his phone must be attached on his belt in the back because I don't see it in the pictures.

And she is having a lot of fun with Buddy.  You see, her Buddy does naughty things...the flip side to this magic.  Apparently, there's a another set of people who report on the naughty things that their elves do.    


Keri also has a set of vintage elves that she named 'Snap, Crackle & Pop!'  And they have parties while she sleeps.  She says the laughter keeps her awake at night!


No matter what you do with your elves, they are adding a whole new dimension to decorating for Christmas, keeping the magic of Christmas alive and allowing us a reprieve from the same old, same old holiday routines.

I'm going to go shopping for my Elf on a Shelf this weekend.  I'll keep you posted! 

No comments:

Post a Comment